Wednesday 3 November 2010

A friend forever

Friendship has become a very loose term, especially now that the world has gone global and people are on social networks like facebook where they are friends with people they may have briefly met, might not have seen since school, or just random strangers who make them look like they are fairly popular!

However, if you are lucky in your lifetime to make true friends, and I am talking about the real connection that you have with someone that can span over years, miles and any and every possible life crises, a connection that can be stronger than marriage or just an unspoken understanding about the depth and love that you hold for each other. 

I am blessed to have many friends in my life, but I have one special friend who I have known a life time.  We live miles apart, and we have for years.  In some form or shape, life has put distance between us.  But this has made no difference to the quality of friendship that we share. 

We met on a building site when we were little girls.  We were playing in the sand together and even from the first day, we just clicked.  I just knew I had met my best friend!  She was just the kind of friend a little girl like me needed. 

My dear friend Colleen,

At a time when things were not very good in my home, you and your wonderful family, took me under your wings and kept me feeling safe and happy and made me see just how wonderfully normal a family can be.  My best memories from those days, all happened in your happy home, or have some connection back to you.  I loved to come and stay on weekends and holidays, and I was always made so welcome.  To this day, my favourite breakfast was the syrup on toast with sweet coffee that your mom would serve us in bed.  I loved playing dress up and office and school and all the fun things we used to do.  I loved the silly jokes you used to tell me. 

I don't remember much about my childhood, but what I do remember is all connected to you, seeing The Rescuers with you and your mom at the drive in and laying on the carpet listening to War of the worlds.  I remember playing in your back garden and picking the fruit off the trees and eating it.  It was the sweetest I ever tasted.  I remember your Dads delicious pineapple beer which he used to make, and then give us a little glass, which would make us giggle alot!  I still laugh at how silly and crazy we were as teenagers in the 80's when we had such big hair and we wore funny clothes.  Or we just did crazy things.  I loved walking to the movies and having lunch with you on a Saturday afternoon.  I had the best fun with you.  I just loved being with you.

When we grew up and life started to take most of our attention, getting married, building our homes and raising our families, although we were not always together, you were certainly in my heart.  You have always been there with a shoulder to cry on, and to help me through whatever crises was going on in my life.  You have never judged me or turned your back on me, even when I have not always made the right decisions or when I have made some pretty awful mistakes in my life.  Instead you have allowed me to learn the lesson, and be there at the end of it with encouragement and support.

You too, have had so much heartbreak, so much happen, and I just hope that I have managed to make the same impact on you, that you have made on me.  You are the best friend anyone could ever ask for.  And the past 35 years of our friendship means so much to me.  I love you so much my friend. And brace yourself for another 35 because I am not joking when I say, you and me are going to be crinkly old granny's, sitting having tea, laughing about the pitter patter pitter patter mouse joke!   Have a wonderful year, I just know its going to be grand! 

Your friend forever xxx

"What is a friend? A single soul in two bodies."


- Aristotle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To the most wonderful friend(sister) anyone could ever ask for (this is a cliche but nothing truer could be said!!!)

U have just mad me cry with joy, sadness, longing and pride with this beautiful letter. The memories u speak of are all just as fresh and sentimental to me. When we spoke the other day and I said to u that we were so blessed to have found eachother and given the gift of the kind of friendship that will last a lifetime. That will withstand the test of time and bypass most other relationships that we will encounter in our lives.

You have been such an important part of my life, no matter where I am in the world and where u are, u are never far from my thoughts and always in my heart. I am so glad u feel that I have been there for u when u needed because that is exactly where u have been these past 35 yrs...giving me love and support thru all the bad times and the good, picking up the pieces and helping me thru some very tough times and creating memories that will last a lifetime.

You are so special to me my friend and my only regret is that ur not closer so I can give u a hug every now and then! I love u with all my heart and thannk u for everything u have ever done for me and everything u mean to me.

I look forward to our days as grannies sitting on the porch, rattling our teeth cause I know that we will always be giggling like teenagers and I can't think of anyone else that I'd rather spend my golden years with!!!

I love u my friend, thank u for the lovely words and u can be assured I cherish u just as much.

Your friend forever and always
Xxxx