Sunday 24 October 2010

The drumbeat

There is a drumbeat that sounds softly and runs through my body.  It is what makes me African, and I can hear it calling me.  The sound never leaves me.  On some days it quietens down and on other days it is loud, so loud, I can feel the vibration below my feet.  It is something that one cannot explain to anyone else, unless you are from Africa and you are no longer there.  I often wonder if you asked other expats, if they would say the same thing?

It is one of the reasons I hate going to the Zoo.   Or seeing the animals in Parks here in the UK because, when I look at the animals from Africa, I feel as if they can feel it too.  A longing to roam free on the rich African soil.   But just like the Lions, who are kept in captivity to save them from extinction, I too realise that this place has become my sanctuary, my safe haven, where I have come to find who I am and preserve it.  Its the place I have come to heal the hurt and find the person who got lost somewhere along the way. 

Along my journey, I have had the privilege of meeting someone who has helped me to heal and shown me what true love really means.  The privilege of learning what family really means to me and how good friends stick close even when you are far.  The privilege of meeting new friends, family and seeing the world from a different set of eyes. And so I will never stop listening to the beat of that drum.  Instead, I bide my time, and live a good life, and know that in time, I will return to the rich earth of Africa and I will return strong, and know that I have learnt to appreciate just how special the people in my life are to me.   I will listen to the beat of that drum and be proud of who I am, where I have come from, and where it is I can go!

No comments: