Wednesday 19 May 2010

The girl who runs for trains.....


"The first thing you have to understand, is that your father never meant to end up here.  And yet he did, twice.  The first time, he was early.  The second time, he was late." - Jenny from Big Fish

I have rarely been on time for anything in my life.  I am not ashamed to say that I am a dreadful time keeper!  And it all started in the womb.  My mom was in labour and the said highly paid gyni waltzed over, took a peek at my Mom's privates to declared that I wouldnt be born for hours! He then announced he was stepping out for a while.  He wasnt even out of the parking lot and I arrived.  Ok, so I was early on this occassion, but as my life has unfolded I have had the uncanny ability of either arriving too early and then at times too late!  Thats why I love the movie Big Fish so much, and the quote from the movie above is one of my favourites. 

Its just written in my veins that I have the uncanny ability of not being on time no matter how hard I try!  This has been really evident in the choices I have made in my life, which have not always been the right ones...so lets blame it on just being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

In the morning when I get ready for work, I try my best to try and "beat" my previous mornings record on getting out the door "early" and getting to work without a sprint.  Well, some mornings, it works really well.  I will be smug and smile in the mirror while brushing my teeth, knowing I have made good time and this morning I will beat the record.  And then something weird happens.....its like some kind of time warp and while locking up, I'll glance over to my watch and OH CRAP!!! I'M LATE!!! and there I go, running down the road for the train.

I sometimes wonder what the people who are sitting in the bumper to bumper traffic must be thinking when they see me, a crazed lady running with my bag in tow as I make my way over the bridge to the station....sometimes doing my hair or dressing along the way!  And then I think, well....I dont really care, because I have been like this all my life! I have tried to change and no matter how hard I try, I always seem to land up in the same place!  And thats the great thing about making peace with the bad qualities that we have....or maybe thats the great part of getting older, and mellowing out!

But I will say that as I run for trains it is becoming evident that time is moving faster and faster as the days go by, and although its time closer to seeing my friends and family, its also time that moves away from me.  However, as time goes on, I am making sure I make every second count by doing what is best for me!

And to end with another favourite quote from Big Fish, which might also explain why my clock seems to be on superspeed..........

"They say that when you meet the love of your life, time stops.  And thats true.  What they dont tell you, is once time starts again, it moves extra fast to catch up" Edward from Big Fish


No comments: