Thursday 1 July 2010

Pros and cons


It has been sometime since my last blog, and I have been suffering with a small dose of writers block, which has made it increasingly difficult to muster up something interesting to say.  I have also been having issues with my blog site, as I have changed from one to another midstream, to find that both of the websites I have been using have various pros and cons and I can therefore not decide where I should be publishing from.  I have  therefore come to a compromise.  I will publish on the one and export to the other and have the benefit of having my blog published on two websites and have the advantages of both. 

Which brings me to an interesting observation about love, life and relationships.  My history has been somewhat complicated and my track record on marriage and relationships are nothing short of an episode of the Jerry Springer show! But of late, its almost as if the penny has dropped with regards to how a good and successful relationship "should" work.  I have made some seriously bad decisions in my life, and I have probably not been the best example of how things should work as far as relationships go.  But I am starting to see the error of my ways, which is promising!  Perhaps its a sign of maturity and growing older, or perhaps its just that I must be learning something along the way!  I mean, how many times do I need to bump my head before I say ouch and not do it again!

But I think the most important thing about falling in love, and staying in love, is to keep falling in love!  And I don't mean with other people, I mean with ourselves and then with the people who we love!  It is easy to become complacent and take ourselves, as well as others for granted over time, but its realising this and fixing it before it gets out of hand....and I think that's the secret!  Often we focus on all the negative things, especially when we don't feel happy with ourselves, when we should actually be looking at the other side of the coin.  Even if its the smallest little thing, its a start to making things turn around.  Its about ending the day, and being thankful for what we have and not about what we don't! 

On my journey through my slightly complex life, I have come to like and then with loads of hard work, love the person who I am, good and bad.  And I really believe that its only now that I have come to understand what love is really all about.  Its about acceptance,  flexibility and compromise.  Its about contentment, talking and most of all, its about laughing!  Its about keeping things simple and its about agreeing to disagree.

........Its all about making the most out of the pros and con's and still getting the best result!

"Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. . . . It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more."


-- Erica Jong

No comments: