Thursday 15 April 2010

My Blue Door



On my recent work related trip to London, I found myself with a few extra hours before I had to catch my train back to Wales.  On planning my route, my brilliant travel consultant pointed out that I would be just one stop away from Notting Hill Gate, the famous Film location from one of my favourite all time movies.  He handed me a 2 page summary of travel plans along with a big kiss!  Now, I know what you must be thinking....I have a really good travel consultant!! Well I do, because it also happens, that I share my bed with this brilliant man....and he just knew how much I loved the movie and what it would mean to me to go and see it for myself.

And so I after I booked out of my hotel this morning, I made my way into the London underground.  I would also like to just take a minute and blow my own trumpet here, and say how well I am starting to cope with using the tube system!  When I first saw the tube map in 2008, I went into a frantic panic and could never make head nor tails of the thing!  But over time and especially the last 48 hours I think I have mastered it! Noddy badge accomplished!   

Back in Central London, I hopped onto the Tube and got off at Notting Hill Gate. There was something liberating about finding my way on my own, so grinning, I popped on my sunglasses, and left the station to find the famous Blue door and Portobello Market........I ran up a few steps and out onto the main street....... First thoughts....um its a bit of a dump!  But optomistic, I realised that every town has its good and bad areas and possibly I had landed on the wrong side of town.  So with illuminous pink weekend bag in tow, I strutted down the main road, on a mission to find the Market place from my much loved movie.   After 15 minutes I realised I was lost!  Nothing new for me, as I have a very stubborn approach to travel....I hate carrying a map and looking like a tourist...I think it kind of attracts what I call "baddies"....however, I guess wondering around looking lost with a huge pink bag is probably a clear sign that I am a bloody silly tourist anyway....

After some time I finally found the famous Portobello Road which leads to the market.  And I found myself searching for the famous blue door which started the wonderful love story which I have watched over and over.  But on my adventure, I discovered a very bohemien little area filled with antique shops, funky clothing shops, vintage jewelley and clothes and very interesting people sitting outside coffee shops taking in the wondeful summer sun.

Which brings me to this.....I found many many blue doors today, and no doubt that life and love continues beyond them.  The people may not be Hugh Grant or Julia Roberts but life happens behind those doors.  And when I got home this afternoon, and put my key into the door, although we dont have a famous blue door, I have been blessed with a wonderful life which includes my very own gorgeous Englishman, who makes me laugh, can almost write a travel book when sending me out to London, and who makes me feel like a very famous movie star, even when I look like shit.  I live my own Notting Hill fairytale every day and I am blessed to have this wonderful life.







No comments: