Tuesday 7 September 2010

Life

Every attempt I have made recently to write in my blog has been blocked in some form or another.  I have several draft blogs sitting in a folder waiting to be finished and yet I find I cannot bring myself to do it.  I have so many things going on in my head and so many things to say, but no logical way in which to express it.  I guess it comes down to the fact that my life swings from one thing to another with such extreme that if I don't finish a piece I am writing, the circumstances around the reason I had the particular subject on my mind has changed and I feel different about it.  My passion wavered and my point of view blurred!

I find is fascinating how life changes so fast.  In an instant things can go from one extreme to another just off set by the smallest event.  And yet, when I look back on it all, it seems as if its the same story playing itself out over and over again, just with a slightly different result.

We are all so hopeful that we are going to live a life without any hitches or drama or problems.  But as we get older, it becomes apparent that life is a set of challenges and how you go about getting around them is what its all about.  Some days we feel strong and able to deal with it and other days we are weak and it seems as if the world is ending and we are never going to make it. 

One of my favourite movie scenes from all time is from the movie Up....when Ellie and Carl have a money jar saving for their dream to go to Paradise Falls, and they have to keep breaking it open and using the money because life has added a few road blocks along the way.  Ellie is so hopeful when they are children....she visits Carl and shows him what she plans for her life, which she has made a scrapbook to record it all. Showing him, she flips through her scrapbook, revealing a page marked, "STUFF I'M GOING TO DO." And Past that, the pages are blank. She says"Well, I'm saving these pages for all the adventures I'm gonna have. Only... I just don't know how I'm gonna get to Paradise Falls."  But She never does makes it to Paradise Falls because of all the "stuff" that she needs to do in her life and all the road blocks that she had encountered, and yet at the end of her life, her book is filled to the brim with other things that happened, to show Carl that she had an amazing life adventure, even though it never went according to plan.

And I think that's the way I need to see this all.  Make peace with the fact that things do change.  Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst, but ultimately its all part of a life adventure getting us to the end.  I have to trust that in the end it all works out for the best.

"There is a certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse! As I have often found in travelling in a stagecoach, that it is often a comfort to shift one's position, and be bruised in a new place". ~Washington Irving













No comments: